by 18watt_fan, PolkMoms, February 8, 2016
Poison is not the answer.
Long term, it always makes the problem much worse. Not only does it contribute to selection-pressure which leads to the breeding of more virulent/robust pathogens and ‘pests’, it also kills-off natural predators to the mosquito or whichever ‘pest’ that is being poisoned.
In addition, all of this spraying is very harmful to beneficial species, such as honeybees, various fish, birds and yes, even humans.
Here’s an excerpt from a petition that’s circulating in Dallas TX concerning this issue:
“The city of Dallas sprays the poison Permethrin, a deadly poison to MANY insects. That includes beneficial insects such as honeybees and ladybugs as well as natural mosquito predators such as dragonflies. Many beekeepers around Dallas have reported their bees have been killed. In addition, fish, some of which eat mosquito larvae, are killed by this poison. There is also other wildlife to consider such as bats, birds, and geckos, which all prey on mosquitoes but are harmed by the spraying….”
Read more at PolkMomsand also watch the video “West Nile Spraying Puts Dallas Bees in Peril.”